Monday, July 16, 2012

In the Cold, Cold Night

A night where a fire is a necessity seems ludicrous as I type this in New York where it's nearly 90 degrees at 10 o'clock at night. However, the nights got pleasantly chilly in Pinecrest, and while we could have stayed in the cabin, making s'mores was a better life choice. Watching fire is pretty much the only way I can truly meditate and lose myself in the absence of thought. You can't help but be pulled in by the flickering flames, their dancing pushing out the clamor in your head.
  
Full moon over the pines.

Toasting a marshmallow.

Embers= prime roasting state.

I don't think I'd eat s'mores anywhere but in the woods. I'm not typically a fan of marshmallows or Hershey's chocolate (a classic, unsubstitutable s'mores ingredient). Something about being outdoors makes them extra-delicious, and this time I managed to perfect my technique...I let the chocolate soften on the graham cracker by the fire while I roasted the marshmallow, and the textures were all melty and right-on.

I'm anticipating the return of cold nights.

2 comments:

  1. I want to be there!! Love the fire pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a wonderful evening! You have an amazing picture of Devin staring down at the fire with his bearded face aglow. He looks like an apostle in that one. I would love to know how to that on actual photo paper.

    ReplyDelete