Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Church of the Transfiguration

Earlier this week we went to the Church of the Transfiguration, which is where my grandparents got married in 1945 right before my Grandpa shipped off with the Navy. My grandparents are both from Garden City, Kansas, and my Grandma took a train to New York City all by herself to meet my Grandpa before he was deployed. Thankfully, the war ended shortly after, and my family exists.

The Church of the Transfiguration, which is near Union Square and the Flatiron District, is also known as "The Little Church around the Corner." It was built in 1849 in the Early English Neo-Gothic style, and now it looks very tiny and quaint among the other looming buildings on the street. Visiting it was a bit like stepping back in time--a piece of the city from before it was as huge as it is today.

My grandparents in coordinating plaid shirts.

The exterior of the church.

My grandmother by a different brick wall. Check out those shoes!











Interior of the chapel.

This lovely scarf, a Christmas gift from my uncle, is another little piece of history. Here's why:

Check it out! It's from the 1939 World's Fair, which was held in New York City! I like the various landmarks they chose to depict, and the almost primary color scheme. Looks pretty good next to that subway tile, too.


Devin and me in our lovely apartment building's elevator.

My grandparents, Paul and Barbara Ewing. I love you! Thank you for sharing the story of your marriage with me over winter break.

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful treasure! To learn of your lineage verbally and then have those physical gifts as well: the pictures and scarf.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for pictures of the Little Church around the Corner - it's great to see more details of a place I've heard about for so long. The last of the old pictures you included is one of my favourites - but they're all great. (Glad you like the scarf!)

    ReplyDelete