Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Treat Yo Self!

This is the most stressful week of the semester for me--I won't go into all of the particulars about meetings, work, homework, and class, but believe me, they are multitudinous, and I am exhausted and sleep-deprived. Which means, of course, I deserve a treat. I don't buy sweets (except for dark chocolate) or bake often, simply because if I did, I would eat ALL the things. So when I want sweets, I go out for them. Today we tried Beard Papa's for the first time, and it was perfection. Above, their éclair cream puff. The custard was sweet, smooth, and cool, and flecked with vanilla bean, the choux pastry was fluffy with just the right amount of crispiness, and the dark chocolate on top was thick and rich.

Devin got the chocolate fondant cake, which was basically a miniature (and amazing) chocolate soufflé. It was warm, gooey, and intensely chocolatey. What more could a person want?

It's been really cold in Manhattan since the end of October (it snowed yesterday!), and imbibing warm beverages is one of the most effective ways of warding off not only winter's chill, but winter blues as well. Here we have the chai latte I had, which also happend to be really great. It was hot, sweet, and cinnamony, and, since cinnamon is my favorite spice, I definitely dug it.

This is the cocoa puff--A cute name and a cute idea, but probably my least favorite of the trio of sweets we sampled. The custard was still delicious, but the shell wasn't nearly chocolatey enough for my taste. However, we'll definitely be back this winter for the éclair puff, soufflé, and chai.

Giant knit hat and winter sweater season is wholeheartedly upon us. Not pictured: Massive Michelin Man coat that goes down to my knees, snow boots.

I always prefer my beards fresh 'n natural.

1 comment: