Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Post-Oktoberfesting

Today we walked down and across Central Park to the Upper East Side in order to catch the lunch special at the Heidelberg Restaurant. We were also going to check out the Neue Galerie, a museum of German art, but it was closed, so that will have to wait for another time. They have a lot of Gustav Klimt, I'm told!


View of the Jackie O Reservoir from our walk cross-park.

The Upper East Side has a different vibe from Morningside Heights/ the UWS. It is overrun with tall children wearing pressed private school uniforms, their posh and sunglasséd mothers, and droves of nannies. Dogs come in one breed: foofy, the streets are ultra clean and crowded, and occasionally a chandelier will sparkle at you through an apartment window. And every residential building has a doorman sporting gold tassel and trim.

Devin's order came with a cup of consomme with spätzle (chicken broth and egg noodles).


Hot roast pork sandwich with sauerkraut.


I ordered a (delicious) bratwurst with sauerkraut and (amazing) potato salad. Our folk-dressed and German-accented waitress left an entire jar of brown mustard for me, so I was a happy camper.

Devin gets really intense about German food.

For dessert we split a piece of plum tart. Their whipped cream (which looked like ice cream) was extra thick and amazing...I'm not sure how they did it, but I want them to reveal their secrets to me!

This outfit is supposed to look German, but I think it turned out more like an American interpretation of what French people are supposed to wear, with a dollop of Heidi of the Swiss Alps.



Pin dots!



New York is definitely teaching me about layering...in that I need to get more layes, and cheaply. Soon, there will be a Target expedition.

4 comments:

  1. I just love how you two visit ethnic restaurants and Laura, you even wear hair, jewelry and clothing to suit the chosen theme of the day. I don't know about all that sauerkraut though. Brings back childhood "yucky" memories. Glad someone enjoys it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just thinking that, what this Julie said! You're so cute dressing up for all of your occasions. And that brat looked reeaalll good. I wanna visit you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy fall! Thanks for the food and fashion.

    ReplyDelete